Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Baby's Got Back

I just realized I should have used that as a post title a long time ago when I got to carry the baby on my back in Dschang. Oh well, better late than never.

SATURDAY April 23
I thought today was going to be a bit dull because once my meeting with my advisor was cancelled, the only plans I had left for the day were ‘laundry’. But then I decided to try to be a good host student and cook something for my family. Therese wanted Mexican, but multiple Dovv searches had turned up no tortillas or tortilla chips, so I gave up on that and made alfredo pasta instead. Actually pretty successful!
Then, the other intern at Heifer (Rodrigue) called me wanting to borrow my recorder. When we met up he had a whole little list of things for us to do. We walked to the Palais du Congres (conference center of sorts) where you get a good look down on the city, went and got some ‘beeftek’ at a restau, and dropped by his sister’s house. Turned out to be a pretty busy day in the end (and a refreshing 24 hour break from ISP!)
This just in: I’m suddenly not sure if I’m ready to come home…It will be nice, but strange too. Oh well, as the good Lord says, ‘there is a time for everything’. So, ready or not, I’ll be peacing out on a flight May 10th (not my original, mind you—that just got cancelled…)

SUNDAY April 24
Happy Easter! We went to mass and then had a pretty average day, actually (though I don’t think this was necessarily an accurate representation of the rest of the country…). Somone, however, did try to ‘save’ me as I was walking to an international call box to give my ‘real’ family a ring. If you thought evangelicals were intense in the US, think again—this dude ended by telling me I should call him so he could take me to the airport. [Side note so as not to come off as rude: I respect the work of those preaching the Good News, but I think it’s frustrating when they refuse to accept the fact that you’re already Christian]

MONDAY April 25
Here’s your mundane fact of the day: Therese washed my towel for me…in the machine. Praise. The. Lord. Either bucket washing wasn’t cutting it, or this bucket washer lacks the proper skill, but either way, that poor yellow towel had not been yellow in ages.
Less mundane: Today I think I saw a dude walking down the street with only a shirt on. That’s pretty strange even by Cameroonian standards.
Also odd: it was surprisingly cool out today! No complaints on my end!
So, most of the time we take the Heifer pick-up to go work out in the field, but sometimes we split into groups and have to take public transport (read: 12 passenger van with 20+ people, and maybe a chicken or two), which is unfortunate mainly because it slows our day down a lot. Anyhoo, today was a public transport day.

TUESDAY April 26
I think today was my last day in the field…long (left my house at 6:30am and got back at 7:20pm—OOPS, curfew violation) but good. Today we were training a new group on the 12 Cornerstones of Heifer, how to avoid dependency syndrome, etc
Today we were in the same shed-thingy as the elementary school students. OH. MY. Singing Cameroonian children simply melt my heart.
After the training we visited the priest who hooked these groups up with Heifer, and he was as cool as I had imagined. He was rocking his Jesus-pagne-pants and cracking priest jokes. When he kept teasing the staff about how he too demonstrates ‘true need’ (a Heifer cornerstone) and deserves some goats, I told him “well, you know what the Bible says…the first shall be last and the last shall be first, so I think it’s okay if you’re suffering a little bit”. Wow, did I think Minnie (staff member) was going to die; she was mortified (and giving me the ‘you did not just say that to a priest’ look) but whatever, we all enjoyed a laugh. Feels good to be able to tell a joke in French!

WEDNESDAY April 27
My taxi broke down for a bit on my ride to work this morning; I would have ditched but the driver had it up and running again in no time.
Did some odd jobs at the office today, but also spent awhile working on translating my paper (2/3 of the way through round one of translating!)
I’ll be home 2 weeks from today!
I’ll be home 2 weeks from today?