Sunday, April 10, 2011

76 Trombones Led the Big Parade

Thursday April 7
First day on the field! Went with a team to have a preliminary visit with 3 groups applying for Heifer’s assistance (Heifer aids individual families only if they are a part of a farming group called a CIG).
This is how unorganized the groups were: some of the members did not know which group they belonged to. True story.
I was a bit shocked, and though I’m not yet sure if they’ll be approved, I think they will be, because immediately afterward our manager said ‘you see, it’s like I told you—Heifer takes very weak groups and helps them build their capacity’. Wow! More power to ya’, Heifer. By teaching groups to help themselves, Heifer contributes to more sustainable development; when they leave the picture in 3 years, hopefully the members will have the skills to successfully support one another.
Part of the reason these groups were so poorly organized was most likely due to the fact that they are cocoa CIGs, which means they’re mainly active during cocoa harvesting season, which only comes once a year (I’m learning some agricultural stuff!). Cocoa is one of Cameroon’s most important exports; looking around at my surroundings today reminds me why fair trade is important. How is it just that chocolate is such a booming market and these people are living in such poverty?
After our work we were taking to the priest’s house, because he’s the one who put the groups in contact with Heifer. We had a good lunch, but he wasn’t there…bummer! He sounds really cool—he’s growing a garden and raising piglets to help his poorest parishioners.

Friday April 8
I had to be at Heifer by 6:30 this morning! Yikes! That was, however, because I got to go the field again. Animated conversation during the hour drive, but....it was all in Pidgeon! PIDGEON DRIVES ME CRAZY. Very frustrating. Let's put it this way: during the average French conversation, I understand 9 of 10 words; during the average Pidgeon conversation, I understand 1 of 10 words.
This time I went with an employee who was giving a training session to a group that just recently began its partnership with Heifer.
I was a little shocked to realize that learning what binders, tab dividers, whole punches, staplers, and meeting agendas made up the majority of the lesson, but quickly realized that the beginning is in fact, a very good place to start. I just cannot imagine never having used a stapler. I think I learned a lot more than they did today.
I also began distributing my surveys today. Against all better judgment I made them way too long...this might get old fast. Let’s keep our fingers crossed.
By the way, best part of today's work was seeing a momma goat feeding its baby goat. Precious!
I saw a firetruck for the first time today! And an ambulance yesterday! Nice to know those exist...
Helped Therese make crepes tonight—yum! Seems like a yummy treat for successfully finishing week one of ISP!! (Wait, what? One week down!? I’ve already learned a lot but don’t have much of a paper to show for it yet…*sighs*)

Saturday April 9
Today is my 76th day in Cameroon, and what a lovely 76 days it’s been!
This morning I met with my project advisor (a local professor) and again had to remember to be patient living on Cameroonian time…he was an hour and a half late, and as I waited with Araba (he’s her advisor too), dudes at a nearby “bar” were trying to buy us beers. At 9:30 am.
Spent the rest of the day trying to get work done, succeeding a teensy bit, but mostly playing with Manuella. We are getting to be quite pals and have even begun taking short evening walks to get a taste of fresh air. She’s definitely a cutie pie.